||ABOUT >> Matthew elliott
How do you feel? For the past 20 years, Matthew Elliott has pondered this question and explored what the Bible means when it says to love God and hate evil. Today, Dr. Elliott is a leading authority on the biblical view of emotions and the vital role they play in our lives. His passion is helping people:
• Help people find emotional and spiritual authenticity and wholeness
• Find the liberation to fully celebrate joyful occasions and blessings
• Achieve more authentic communication with kids, spouse, and friends
• Equip people to know how to listen to their hearts and respond biblically
• Strengthen the ability to convey genuine love to others
• Experience freedom from legalistic, religious expectations
• Transform destructive anger into constructive connections with God and others
• Provide pastors and counselors with effective ways to minister by integrating a biblicalview of emotion and an effective approach to counseling
Dr. Elliott’s education includes a bachelor’s degree in economics and master’s degree in New Testament from Wheaton College. In addition, he studied at the University of Aberdeen in Scotland and earned both a masters of theology and a doctorate of philosophy in New Testament Studies. He was ordained at College Church in Wheaton, Illinois under Dr. Kent Hughes.
Influential church leaders, such as John Piper, hailed Dr. Elliott’s first book, Faithful Feelings: Rethinking Emotion in the New Testament” (Kregel; 2006), as a landmark work and “the most thorough study on emotions in the New Testament.” In addition, Rick Warren, pastor of Saddleback Church, endorsed Dr. Elliott’s latest book, Feel: The Power of Listening to Your Heart (Tyndale; 2008) as a “great addition to the library of any pastor.”
National media seek out Dr. Elliott’s insights to help audiences find freedom from emotional confusion and repression. He has appeared on television and radio programs, such as The Harvest Show, Key Life with Steve Brown, and published articles in the Journal of Psychology and Theology.
In addition, Dr. Elliott is President of Oasis International, a multinational distributor of books and Bibles into the developing world. To date, Oasis has distributed more than four million books and Bibles into Africa by harnessing the power of entrepreneurship and sound business principles (www.OasisInt.net).
Matthew is most at home when he is with his wife of sixteen years, Laura, and their three children: Jackson, Evan, and Cailin. After living in several different countries, they now reside near Chicago, Illinois. The Elliotts enjoy biking, camping, watching their boys play basketball and Cailin dance ballet. They are active members of their church where they are leaders in the small group ministry. For more information, visit: www.MatthewElliott.org.